Knot.A.Del

Started by VastLite, August 21, 2010, 02:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VastLite

It is custom made and it's not a dell.

Mother board is an AMD chipset 790GX with two Pci-e 16x slots (I only use one (for now >:-) )

CPU is a Phenom II X3 720 Black edition that I've unlocked to an X4 and overclocked to 3.2ghz (It could certainly do more, but I only ever wanted the X4 3.2ghz) Idles at about 25 degrees, I've never seen it hit 50 in-game. ("Well of course you wouldn't see it in-game, silly" I mean having alt-tabbed or running windowed.) oh, plus I ran 4 instances of prime95 for a day to break it in, and even with relatively unset thermal compound, it was in the mid 40's.

Ram is one matched pair of G.Skill PC8500 2GB sticks (A total of 4GB) run at 800mhz for a silly reason (being the motherboard) but at tight timings. 4-4-4-12 to be exact.

Graphics card is a good old Radeon HD 4850 512MiB (Asus brand, factory over-clocked)

Hard drive has recently been upgraded to a 640GB Western Digital Black, with a 160GB auxiliary drive for game disk images and such)

DVD drive is a Samsung +/- RW burner I just bought, SATA. (I forget the speed, something ridiculous; I stop counting at 16x because never in my life have I seen dvd media capable of being burnt faster)

The case is some brand I can't remember that has been heavily modified over the years to facilitate industrial 120mm fans I got from my dad's work (I don't run them anymore, they were accumulating far too much dust, and I don't need that much airflow.) They came out of a server that was being disassembled and were being run at 18volts (Obviously I could only run them off the 12volt wire so I can't imagine them spinning any faster than they were or being any louder, the server must have been very dusty by the end of its life.)

I do have 3 120mm fans that I've attached to the side-cover through drilling holes. (I had 4 but they are kinda cheap and the sleeve bearing went bad on one of them to the point I finally just yanked it out.) The side cover was already heavily ventilated, (It has like 1000 little holes in it; the hole damned case is full of tiny little holes, it's a wonder I haven't fried the board spilling soda into it.) so I only had to drill the pilot holes for the screws, not a giant circle. It looks a little worse for wear, but it's not too bad. I could probably stand to get a new case, but I think I have the best one in the house as it is.

Power supply was shopped for very specifically. It's a PC Power and Cooling, 80Plus certified, single-rail 380Watt (this is continuous output, if it were rated like old power supplies in "peak" output, it would be closer to 430watts.) It keeps the top of my case far cooler than my old power supply did, and its stable voltages keep my components a lot happier too.

It has a flopppy drive. Don't ask why. I sure don't know.

Some case badges, I've had to tape some back on and transfer others to different computers as the years have gone by.

Hm, other than that, it has Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit, I was afraid to go x64, so I have to live with not being able to use 768MB of my installed ram :|

Lots of games, if you're really curious you can check my xfire.

I think I covered it all, I'll be posting the specs of my other computer next... gotta think of a name. Does "Closet Comp" sound too odd? I know my sister makes fun of it whenever I call it that and references a SouthPark episode. Something about Tom Cruise and R. Kelly also being stuck in my closet.

VastLite

Over the Christmas holiday this computer got quite the upgrade.

CPU is now an AMD Thuban, Phenom II X6 1075T @3GHz with turbo disabled (it would over-volt the thing horribly.)

Ram is now DDR3 thanks to my new AM3 socket motherboard. 4GB (2x2) running at 1333MHz with a CAS latency of 7 cycles.

Motherboard is now an ASRock 870 Extreme3 AM3 (it's the only 870 series board on the market capable of 8x/8x CrossFireX)

Graphics Card is now a Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB with the core over-clocked from 775 to 900MHz. (Ram didn't need any boost, it's already running at 4gigabits/s across a 256-bit bus, an insane 128GB/s)

Everything else is pretty much the same. I do have a SATA-3 hard drive as the primary now, a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, but my windows score for it is still just 5.9 (it scores just like 4 other computers in my house. Microsoft is doing something really weird with their hard drive performance test.)

Oh, I did finally switch over to Windows 7 Ultimate x64, which leaves the option of 8GB of ram open for later. Right now 4GB seems to do fine for what I use this computer for. I don't render or anything, I just play games, and they rarely even use 2GB.

All the components these replaced went into my other computer, I guess I'll go over and update that one now.

Apollo

Very nice, but why would there be an over volt issue with your processor's turbo if it's only at 3 Ghz?
( It doesn't kick all the cores into turbo, either )
I have my 1055t, ( which is a level down from yours ) running at 3.7Ghz without issue. Voltage isn't very far from default. :P

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

VastLite

The Turbo is 3.3GHz and the CPU gets its maximum voltage, which is about 1.45, and on my motherboard it supplies around 1.5, which is way too much for this chip. I have it set to 1.30v for 3.0GHz in the bios and even at that, my motherboard will feed it up to 1.4 volts at full load. I just got after-market cooling yesterday. The HSF that comes with this proc is okay but is low-profile and has a loud, tiny fan. I don't plan on over-clocking but I feel much better the cooler this computer runs, I plan on keeping it a while.

This motherboard's ITE sensor is not widely supported by any program yet, so it is very difficult to determine temperatures and voltages. Just to be safe I'm just trying to run things cool. The HSF I purchased was a pain to install and I ended up having to re-seat and mod it for it to have the same performance as the other Arctic Cooling HSFs I have.

It came pre-applied with mx-2, but apparently it doesn't like it when you miss the processor and smear half of it on part of the CPU that's not going to end up contacting the sink. I'm glad mx-2 keeps so well, after years of storage the tube I have of it was fine. Properly applying it dropped my temps down to what I expect from a 92mm fan.

As I'm typing this, coretemp reports the CPU as running at 27c, while Hardware Monitor says it's running at 39c. I really like this motherboard but it seems like I'm paying quite a steep early-adopter's fee in using it.

Apollo

Ah, I understand.

Out of curiosity, what specific CPU cooler are you using?

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

VastLite

I'm using a Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. It's decent but it started making noise this morning, I think my computer spit out a twist-tie while I was sleeping; it may have borked the fan a little. It's still spinning, and the noise slowly subsides as it warms up, but it's still disheartening to hear a one day old fan make the same noise my three year old ones used to make before I replaced them. The Freezer 7 uses a fluid dynamic bearing, which should last a long time; the thing has a 6 year warranty. I guess if the it gets any worse I'll just get a replacement. Perhaps I can just replace for the fan, it's pretty easy to remove, in fact you have to take it off to install the sink.