Expanding our reign. A compilation of idears and ideas,

Started by Apollo, November 28, 2011, 04:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apollo

I was trying to think of possible engines that we could expand to.
Places where there isn't tooo big of a learning curve, or a huge jump in system requirements.

Personally, I think it would be bloody awesome if we, as a group, made something utilizing UDK... but ... here we get into issues where there is a large learning curve, and quite massive system requirements to smoothly use the tools supplies.
Plus, we'd need to be able to make almost all of our assets.

UDK = No. :(

------

A very possible game to dabble with I think would be Xonotic; a branch of Nexuiz.

The engine is capable, with a lively bunch of developers, and the system requirements are not horribly high.
Mapping doesn't take very long to get the grasp of.

Xontic = Maybe.  :)

------

Alternatively.
We could.. wait for it.. make our own game!

Hows a 2D Sidescrolling super awesome game sound?
There are TONS of 2D game engines available for free.

LOVE engine, for example. It's free and everything is LUA.
http://love2d.org/

------

And my final idea for now is that we create our own political party, and run for president or prime-minister, or supreme emperor / evil dictator is some random country of our choosing. ( We'll make a poll to decide which country later )
We could name our party 'The Deadly Serious Party,' as that name hasn't been used since the 80s and should be free by now.

------
If yall know some awesome *Popular* games that support modding and level creation, post the names and details.
It would be fun, imo, to try something on the side. At least for some of us.

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

unixfreak

Xonotic looks good, i haven't gotten round to trying it yet. I remember trying Nexuiz a long time ago and had alot of problems with lag and framerate (was expecting the same with Xonotic lol).

Lua's a great language, pretty straightforward. I tried making a game or two with the love engine in the past (lost motivation though).

Two games i think are awesome (play them often, but haven't made any map/mods on them before);

Alien Arena:  Open source, Based on iDTech2, modern graphics, AARadiant for mapping (i assume its very similar to the quake GtkRadiant)

Open-Arena: Open Source, Based on ioquake3 (fork of IDTech3 engine), graphics aren't great but the gameplay is awesome and pretty much is a stand-alone quake3 fork. I would guess it uses GtkRadiant and other quake tools for mapping.

Theres also the doom3 sourcecode released this week (personally i haven't played doom3 yet), and hopefully when the iodoom3 project kick's off we will see alot of new stand-alone games. Might be something to look at in the future... for instance 'Open Doom' in a similar way to Open-Arena.

Just an idea (i fap to quake  ;D)

Though I'd also love to look at Xonotic again sometime.
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

vampirefrog

vampirefrog

Apollo

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

vampirefrog

*installing xonotic*
*installing GtkRadiant*

we should setup a tutorial on how to install those

Pupskuchen

And only play games that are for Windows, Linux and Mac.

vampirefrog

Apparently they use netradiant

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki/Mapping

I think xonotic/quake-like engines are way more pro and give you much more freedom, though there is no coopedit feature.

Apollo

vampirefrog

netradiant + forum + screenies = coopedit

Apollo

Coopedit
Let's break this word down.

Coop  Edit.

Co-op -> Co-operative -> Owned, created, or maintained by a group of individials.
Edit -> A change or correction made as a result of editing

Lets break it down some more:

Coop
Co -> The chemical element cobalt OR a Commanding Officer
Op -> Short of Operation or Operative.

Edit
Ed -> Election District
it -> Used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified

So using this information, let us construct the true meaning of CoopEdit.

An Operation, run and maintained in joint and in turn by Ourselves, to ferry Cobalt out of the Election District. It's all we have left.

Sweet

It took you how long to get that, Jake? Dude, I knew that before this thread even existed.

vampirefrog

unixfreak

Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord