spam

Started by vampirefrog, April 23, 2011, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampirefrog

you guys been getting spam from do-not-reply@mappinghell.net by any chance?

Apollo

Nope, but I just got a load of spam from a bunch of random addresses between 7:56 and 11:38 today.
Six different emails, all seeming to thank me for something.

"Ppl like you get all the brnais. I just get to say thanks for he answer"

Spam or not, Learn To Type!

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Sweet

vampirefrog

I received some spam from <random@address.com> do-not-reply@mappinghell.net  -- it uses the 'name' field to place a different email address so when you look in your inbox it seems to be from that addy but it's really from do-not-reply@mappinghell.net.

Could you check, please?

vampirefrog

Ok, I've been keeping a mail log and I've found this:

to=jake@mappinghell.net, subject=IeWaZsJyXhFBsC, message=You're the graetest! JMHO, from=praider51@sbcglobal
.net

It looks to me like someone/bot is exploiting the forum code/vulnerabilities.

vampirefrog

Found some IPs, looks like random IPs, most likely a botnet - gonna have to find a way to stop them...

vampirefrog

I think the whole point of this type of spam is to flatter you and get you to hit 'reply' and after you've done that you've revealed your real email addy (which the forum hides), and you've subscribed to their spam list.

So don't reply to those.

Apollo

Good thing we all know better

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Apollo

That email spam seems to have subsided.
:D

vampirefrog

for now. i haven't removed the vulnerability in the forum code yet. they're just taking a break

vampirefrog

I think I found a way to stop these particular spammers, hopefully it works. Also I'm replying to this post to see if emailing still works :P