Re: Forum is dead?

Started by Suicizer, August 13, 2013, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suicizer

As the title shows off, did our MH forum died?

Only a very few members respond on the forums nowadays while of the active members isn't coming alot of input....

P.S.
I don't know who changed the title, but rather keep it like it was indended (I wouldn't ask it this way just to end about tesseract).

Skur

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Einstein

ArdTheSheep

R.I.P. MH forum.

Cause of death: minecraft.
Signature

Suicizer

Quote from: ArdTheSheep on August 14, 2013, 07:30:50 AM
R.I.P. MH forum.

Pretty sad dead actually; beaten by a game which can't render bigger textures as 64x64.

Zoocata

Quote from: Suicizer on August 14, 2013, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: ArdTheSheep on August 14, 2013, 07:30:50 AM
R.I.P. MH forum.

Pretty sad dead actually; beaten by a game which can't render bigger textures as 64x64.

Actually,  I've seen texture packs as large as 256x256...

Fairypiss

i like my forum with a little drop of poison,

Sauce

We can keep it alive. It will just go through long time spans of inactivity and very short ones of increased activity. Certain things, like a new release, will spark increased activity for a short time. We just need to keep in touch, so that we can share and create together slowly but consistently the whole time.
It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them.

Suicizer

Actually,  I've seen texture packs as large as 256x256...

That actually makes it worse as it still appears like they use textures sized as 64x64 on everything.

Leo

Just putting my input in: I don't think we should blame it entirely on Minecraft, I think its also to do with a smaller community of new players. I remember reading in the Cube forums about putting Sauer on steam. Now I know there are many issues involved in this (mainly argued by Suicizer if I remember), but putting Sauer in places like this could spark more players.

Most new players that join play it for a few days as a kinda play around, then get bored and play a different game. Also I think we have to come to terms with the idea that one day Sauer will die out almost entirely except for those Diehard veterans.. This is just my opinion.

Leo

Just to make myself clear, I'm not saying put it on steam, just saying a larger community would be good. I remember a few years ago, I would just surf servers and meet new people, make connections, gain respect as a awesometastic editor.

vampirefrog

Guys, I personally got bored with sauer.

I'll continue to host the forum indefinately.

I am waiting for tesseract to release so I can make a new frogmod and also to help promote the game.

Btw, if you guys can afford it, tesseract is accepting donations. It all goes into the content (maps, textures, mapmodels etc).

Fairypiss

link me to the tesseract page?

MasterTechCC

Quote from: Leo on August 15, 2013, 12:35:25 PM
Just putting my input in: I don't think we should blame it entirely on Minecraft, I think its also to do with a smaller community of new players. I remember reading in the Cube forums about putting Sauer on steam. Now I know there are many issues involved in this (mainly argued by Suicizer if I remember), but putting Sauer in places like this could spark more players.

Most new players that join play it for a few days as a kinda play around, then get bored and play a different game. Also I think we have to come to terms with the idea that one day Sauer will die out almost entirely except for those Diehard veterans.. This is just my opinion.

Absolutely, without a sustained community this game is done for, we need to find a way to get new people in, make connections, get people involved in communicating in IRC/forums, and ESPECIALLY finding a way to inform people of new releases o.O I mean you see the server lists, there are like 9-10 pages of servers with barely two pages worth of them actually in use. Those older servers still have handfuls of people behind an update or two - I still see people playing the Trooper edition  /!\  Since I got a new computer I'll be able be more active overall; what I'm going to do right now is work on our Tapatalk forum so it's easier for people to get to MH on their phones without being near a computer.... and yes I am one of those die hard veterans, I love this game, I've played it for almost 7 years and would hate to see it go, but times change as well as people, so we just need to learn to deal with things as they come - Just doing my part...
"Nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga, I'm 100% Nigga" - Gangsta Rap: The Glockumentary

vampirefrog

I don't think there will be more sauer releases. From what I understand, eihrul is focusing solely on tesseract right now. Join #tesseract on irc.freenode.net if you haven't already. So informing people about new releases - well not sure if that's going to happen for sauer, however, for tesseract, that remains possible. Tess will have more up-to-date graphic capabilities, and we will be able to see much nicer visuals. If there's anything we can do, is contribute to tess with maps, textures, models and so on. Currently only Nieb is adding content, but we might as well start a 'map for tesseract' project and start making maps - tess gameplay is insta and ctf afaik.

http://tesseract.gg/

I'll try to setup a nightly build again too.

Leo

Is there an official build of Tesseract we can all play? Or is it still in-dev

vampirefrog

you'll have to get the svn from http://tesseract.gg while I'm still figuring out how to create nightly windows binaries

Fairypiss

Hmm should we have this topic at the top? maybe we should move it to clan only section? New comers might get the wrong idea

Zoocata

Quote from: vampirefrog on August 23, 2013, 04:28:25 AM
you'll have to get the svn from http://tesseract.gg while I'm still figuring out how to create nightly windows binaries

god damnit do I have to compile all of this because theres no .exe for the batch to run.

Leo

Guys, concerning promoting Sauer, couldn't the community focus on making a tesseract release that will alow it to be put on sites like Steam, and thus getting public awarness? So like create a new map selection with all copyrights and such done correctly for public distribution?

If this is a possible idea, maybe we should make a list of other issues involved and try to solve them, cause personally I think getting a free to play fps like Sauer or in this case tesseract will gain popularity, especially in the linux field. (Even though most linux user will most likely have heard of Sauer already)

vampirefrog

Currently tesseract seems to be under eihrul and Nieb's control. There is only one map 'complex', it is pretty high quality, and there is ongoing work, but what tess needs right now are skilled mappers to either upgrade old maps or create new maps to showcase the engine's capabilities. Other resources such as weapon models and textures are good contributions, I guess. Contact them directly in irc.freenode.net #tesseract to talk about it. Alternatively, we could setup our own texture and mapmodel sets that we can use directly with tesseract, so we don't have to wait for Nieb or eihrul to include them in the default. We can setup a mappinghell tesseract resource pack (which should be roughly compatible with sauer as well). As an example we have the loopix tex set that I started. Just contribute resources into the tesseract resources section.

A simple way to make a texture pack is to find a bunch of photos, those will be your base, so choose them wisely, don't include too many of the same type (for example 10 brick textures and 1 floor texture), make sure they apply to a wide array of situations (an example would be 2 brick textures, 2 floor, 2 trim, 2 ceiling textures), then you can use a good bumpmap generator like CrazyBump for example (it's pretty good), or whatever suits you, but in the end, you should have high-quality normal, depth and specularity maps. And by high-quality I mean they should look properly 3-dimensional instead of obviously generated from the base texture (that's why it's a bit of work to get them to look right).

As for mapmodels, you can use Blender, create an object, add an UV map, a texture and export it as obj. It is possible to write a python plugin to export them directly into mapmodels, if we happen to be mass exporting.

The approach Nieb is taking is he adds only the required resources for the existing maps, they are not including texture sets that are unused by core maps (at least it looks that way). Which is fine, we just add our own resource pack.

The reason why I'm suggesting that we create new content is that the old content is just that - old, and we're tired of it. I also recommend creating custom textures and mapmodels for each map or project. Resources should be specific to a map or a set of maps, to make them more distinct and recognizable ("oh the map with the funky wall textures!").

vampirefrog

What I'm trying to say is that we're in a transition period between the end of Sauer and the beginning of Tesseract's popularity.

Leo

So if we can get together and make a good resource pack and release a stable version of tesseract, it'll still need some type of advertisement otherwise only people who already know about cube will play it and those who search for free fps shooters online.

Suicizer

Quote from: vampirefrog on August 27, 2013, 09:27:44 PM
What I'm trying to say is that we're in a transition period between the end of Sauer and the beginning of Tesseract's popularity.

So where is that fully packed Tesseract community?

I've release  a lot of texture- and modelpacks during my time on Sauerbraten (compared to the rest of the community) and they only need to be repackaged (for most of them). There are even some texture packs which are still waiting to be released  ;D.
I would seriously hate the idea of adding old (crappy) maps back into Tesseract. We rather could make a new start and a different gameplay (although all triggers are dumped already as Razgriz states =\).

vampirefrog

Quote from: Leo on August 29, 2013, 03:12:11 AM
So if we can get together and make a good resource pack and release a stable version of tesseract, it'll still need some type of advertisement otherwise only people who already know about cube will play it and those who search for free fps shooters online.
I'm not so sure about these ideas yet. First off, there is no 'stable' version of tesseract. Second of all, even if we make a resource pack, what exactly are we releasing? "Tesseract - experimental 3D engine with a resource pack"? I don't think we have something to advertise yet.

What we can do, however, is to make a sort of starter kit so mappers like us can start using tesseract to make maps and content, so we can contribute to the core tesseract resources with finished high-quality maps.

So the most practical and helpful thing to do at this point, is, imo, making maps for tess.

Leo

Okay so the plan of action should be to create a 'version' of tesseract that mappers can use?

ArdTheSheep

Quote from: Leo on August 31, 2013, 05:44:11 AM
Okay so the plan of action should be to create a 'version' of tesseract that mappers can use?

and packed in regular .zip... not .7shit
Signature

Leo

Well hurry guys, I'm actually pretty keen to edit on tesseract

Just a question, if we do make our own resource pack, then the maps will end up incompatible with the official tess. So umm what we do? Communicate with the dev or somethin?

Also anyone tried Metalheart 2?

vampirefrog

No, they will be compatible if we create and edit them with tess.

Apollo

Do the tesseract. I was playing with it this morning.

It's.. it's.. BEAUTIFUL. Where is the emoticon for tears of joy?

Also. Hi. I'm me and I'm not dead.

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Suicizer

Quote from: Apollo on September 07, 2013, 09:32:17 PM
Do the tesseract. I was playing with it this morning.

It's.. it's.. BEAUTIFUL. Where is the emoticon for tears of joy?

Also. Hi. I'm me and I'm not dead.

Very nice but what has tesseract to do with forum/clan activity?

Apollo

Oh, well gee, I don't know. Maybe read the thread.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Suicizer

Quote from: Apollo on September 09, 2013, 01:31:15 AM

Rather read the title and answer it once more.

Leo

The thread has progressed from clan activity to Sauerbraten community activity. Thread title is wrong. And I guess in a sense Tesseract will cause a few old players to come back and play again. Just thinking bout it has made me play sauer a few nights in a row lately.

unixfreak

Quote from: Leo on September 09, 2013, 11:41:50 AM
The thread has progressed from clan activity to Sauerbraten community activity. Thread title is wrong. And I guess in a sense Tesseract will cause a few old players to come back and play again. Just thinking bout it has made me play sauer a few nights in a row lately.

Maybe something to do, add some tutorials or guides for editing. Simplify it down with screenshots etc, will apply to tesseract too, as it has new stuff. That could boost forum activity, even if it's just discussion.

Tbh, there isn't alot of detailed tutorials on even the most basic sauer/cube editing methods (that are easy to find). That might encourage some people who are browsing, to sign up or apply to join MH, and boost forum activity.

As for tesseract, I can't wait to finally try it when my new computer gets here.
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

Apollo

Quote from: Suicizer on September 09, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
Quote from: Apollo on September 09, 2013, 01:31:15 AM

Rather read the title and answer it once more.

Oh christ, stop being so uptight.  I'm replying to the subject matter contained within the thread.
Show me the rule of the internet saying that the topic of a thread may not deviate from the title.