POLL: Adding a minecraft section

Started by vampirefrog, July 22, 2013, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we add a minecraft section to the forum?

Yes
No

vampirefrog

What do you guys think? It would be related to the server I'm going to run (not the friends server which we'll keep hush hush). I think it would bring more people on, and when they see we're also a cube2 clan, they might take an interest in the game and start mapping for that as well.

Personally I'm all for forum activity.

We can even have a login rule that requires a forum account, and the two can be linked somehow. I'm sure it's technically possible.

:hat:

vampirefrog

vampirefrog

Alright you guys, votes seem to be going to YES, and I don't think there's need to wait any longer. Now let's figure out what the section will contain. There will be at least two sub-sections, one for the public server, and one for the private server, which will be visible to clan members only (just like the clan-only section).

There should be a suggestions thread or sub-board, and maybe a development section and a screenshot section.

Please come up with ideas on how and what to add to this. Don't just say "yeah that sounds fine". Use your brain dude.

Suicizer

I thought we were MAPPING Hell,  not Minecrafting Hell.

If minecraft deserves a server and section, then we could also start a server on QuakeLive or even Open Arena and add a section as well as it's just as relevant to our clan as minecraft is.

ArdTheSheep

Quote from: Suicizer on July 29, 2013, 11:10:41 AM

If minecraft deserves a server and section, then we could also start a server on QuakeLive or even Open Arena and add a section as well as it's just as relevant to our clan as minecraft is.

Once again I'm glad to say I agree with Suicizer.
Signature

Skur

Quote from: Suicizer on July 29, 2013, 11:10:41 AM

+9000
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Einstein

Suicizer

I actually haven't heard of any players which moved from Minecraft to any game on Cube Engine 2; probably as it's a way different genre which only seems to share the similarity as being cubistic (woohoo, correct me if I'm wrong).
However, I do have heard of players which moved from any game on Cube Engine 2 to Minecraft...

vampirefrog

Quote from: Suicizer on August 01, 2013, 12:57:50 AM
I actually haven't heard of any players which moved from Minecraft to any game on Cube Engine 2; probably as it's a way different genre which only seems to share the similarity as being cubistic (woohoo, correct me if I'm wrong).
However, I do have heard of players which moved from any game on Cube Engine 2 to Minecraft...

Well, the way I see it, it's all good. They're all good fun games. There might be someone who has been building with minecraft for a while, and wants something with a bit more realism, and might transition to sauer or tesseract once they see a few screenshots and edit with it for a bit.

Quake Live, Open Arena, Xonotic all have editor programs and mappers, and we already have a xonotic section, even if nobody is mapping for it. They're also good and fun games.

And similarities, well, they're games, they're 3D, and you can cooperatively build. That way you get to meet people and see their skill. I think it's lots of fun. Cube engine 2 games are a bit more hardcore since you have more freedom and there is no crafting.

Personally, I'm all for it, bringing more people into the clan, building houses and whatnot in minecraft, then in tesseract, maybe even importing maps from mc to tess. The downside of tesseract is that you have to build everything by hand, and even after you build it, there is no AI to populate your world. I think a better competitor to minecraft would be a cube2/tesseract based RPG with spawning NPC's and whatnot.

I am aware that some people don't like minecraft because it's full of dumb kiddies who think they're funny and post youtube videos and whatnot, but there are interesting people as well, and that's what the purpose of the clan recruitment system is - to pick those interesting people and build with them in a more relaxed fashion, since nobody's going to grief or act immaturely. We're going to have two mc servers - a public and a private one, the private one will be for clan members only, and the public one will be my project for monetization from donations, and a way to meet people. Lots of us will have admin access, and maybe a share of the earnings. There will be a lot of players connecting, hopefully we can bring it to hundreds with proper promotion. I'm still trying to learn how to make it interesting for players, and how to administer the server hardware as well. That's why I upgrade the server recently.

vampirefrog

Chances are that if someone is a nice player in mc, he/she will be a nice player in cube2 as well, without griefing, having patience to learn the way it works and so on.

See, it's not about bringing players to the cube2 community, it's about gathering friends to play with, irrespective of the game in question. It's about building a positive, fun creative community. Minecraft has more players and I figured the more people the merrier. It's a lot easier to get around when the community is bigger, since you have more people to answer your questions, and to give feedback to your builds.

We'll have contests, make clan videos, build clan bases, we'll make a hub for the clan server, one for the public server, villages and so on.

GoodOldJacob

Minecraft is a really good way for meeting new people and finding out what their skills are :) and in the end, it's all about having fun.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Lazy Kat

Quote from: Mr.Fixxit694 on July 25, 2013, 02:31:34 AM
i find myself more on minecraft this days then sauerbraten :( ........... :anisan:

Ditto, but Im more playing on a server from my school. Pixelmon :3 (1st gen poke, generally)
Meowy Chwysmiss

Suicizer

Quote from: GoodOldJacob on August 01, 2013, 05:53:01 PM
Minecraft is a really good way for meeting new people and finding out what their skills are :) and in the end, it's all about having fun.

Actually, I wouldn't mind that a minecraft section would appear, as everything which has nothing to do with mapping ends up there.

I still have a small thing that could bother me, which is:
A recruiting user must post one or more pieces of content created within the Cube2 engine. ( Preferably Sauerbraten, but not limited to. )
That should not be changed at all times.
A recruiting user should never show their skill in any content made for or within Minecraft. Mapping Hell should stay Mapping Hell, not Crafting Hell.

Suicizer

Quote from: GoodOldJacob on August 01, 2013, 05:53:01 PM

So was chatroulette once...

vampirefrog

Quote from: Suicizer on August 02, 2013, 11:39:46 PM
Mapping Hell should stay Mapping Hell, not Crafting Hell.
That, my friend, is brilliant. Congratulations.

I've registered craftinghell.net (and .com) :D