Single Player Mapping Challenge 2013

Started by Suicizer, May 27, 2013, 01:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suicizer

Well, I'm glad to announce there is some mapping challenge upcoming these days!

Read more about it on http://quadropolis.us/node/3838

ArdTheSheep

Ardelico: the first map will be for the challenge, but it's also the start of a complete storyline with multiple parts and chapters
<Skur_phone> this sounds like
Ardelico: the first part: you were assigned by the military, being their best soldier, to venture into a rainforest. you have to fight your way to the temple of blahblah and kill the boss
<Skur_phone> singleplayer?
Ardelico: but
Ardelico: once you enter the temple
Ardelico: it is pretty much the same much (except shrunk to just the temple)
Ardelico: the only difference is that it's ffa and the bot is the boss
Ardelico: its not an ffa match either
Ardelico: its a 1 kill to pass
Ardelico: if you die, you lose, duh, if you kill the bot, you proceed to part 1 chapter 2
Ardelico: and in each chapter the bot will increase in skill and gain an extra healthboost, (something you spawn, sleep 3000 spam # healthboosts, the bot spawns, the script edittoggle and delete hb, then bot comes out of the spawn
Ardelico: the battle begins)
Ardelico: would this be allowed in the challenge?
Ardelico: no i dont plan on winning, but this idea with the bot could spark up some nice maps and multiple-part maps too

INB4 vampi telling me to post on the forum.

But, is this allowed? The ffa map is only a portion of the actual sp map, the ffa map is for the boss only since it seems the only way to legitamately have a boss fight with a bot without going deep into the code to modify things.

Everyone can use this idea, and suicizer, you should add this to your node or make an 'ideas' section.

To better word the bot and the healthboosts:  the match begins, when you spawn you (automatically) make # of healthboosts where the bot is going to spawn.

The bot spawns and picks up the health boost.  1 or 2 seconds later, the script will (automatically) edit toggle and delete the healthboosts.

To better explain why 2 maps might be used:

But as you probably already know, the goal is to get to the temple, once you get there, the map switches to an ffa map of just the temple.

I know it's against the rules to have 2 maps, but the boss map is the temple stripped from the main sp map, and the area to have the fight in.

Signature

Apollo

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Suicizer

You cannot add a bot into SP, so your plan get stuck there already. I actually had the same idea about a week ago to use a bot as endboss, but noticed that this is impossible.
Also, when toggling into edit-mode on SP, all triggers are back to it's original state, which screws up everything.

Using 2 maps shouldn't be done as the challenge isn't to make a complete campaign but just a single player map. You can add your campaign after that if you really want to.

Apollo

I don't think you grok his jive.

The first map is the SP map, while the second is the final portion featuring the boss, which is a bot, which will therefor be played in a different mode.

Kill shit > Reach boss > loading screen > Kill boss.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Apollo

Quote from: Apollo on May 30, 2013, 03:48:13 AM

The first map is the SP map, while the second is the final portion featuring the boss, which is a bot, which will therefor be played in a different mode.

Kill shit > Reach boss area > loading screen > Kill boss.

Suicizer

Quote from: Apollo on May 30, 2013, 03:48:13 AM

Kill shit > Reach boss > loading screen > Kill boss.

No, that shouldn't be done as that's not the intention of Singleplayer. Else we could allow any mode for the challenge.
Also, you can't avoid properly that the bot spawns on the playerstart which is supposed for you while you spawn on his. Not even gameclip prevents this. So that ends up as a deathmatch on some map which is intended to be for Singleplayer (or maps were spawns are equal to each other, think about maps like hf_insta or sacrefice. Wow, it's a long time ago since I saw that map yet I still remember it 0.0). Use your common sense to think if this actually would be allowed.

P.S.
No, I won't make an idea section, because the node is already a big list =S. People can come up with ideas on their own.

ArdTheSheep

Actually, it is possible to make the bot spawn at the right location every time.  Via ctf/protect/collect modes.

Playerstart 1 (you)

Playerstart 2 (bot)

Welp, guess I won't be in the mapping challenge then.
Signature

Suicizer

Quote from: Ardelico on June 01, 2013, 04:33:27 PM
Actually, it is possible to make the bot spawn at the right location every time.  Via ctf/protect/collect modes.

Playerstart 1 (you)

Playerstart 2 (bot)

Welp, guess I won't be in the mapping challenge then.

Untrue, as it's never clear if you would be team good or team evil. I'm not sure if this can actually be scripted (like setteam good 0). Even you've reached your goal, it's not like the way it actually should be done.
The fact stands that it's not allowed during the challenge. You can do so after that (so you just participate for the challenge, but just continue with mapping after the challenge).

Apollo

Suicizer

Quote from: Apollo on June 02, 2013, 05:52:08 PM
Bah. Just let him do it.

He can do so, I don't care. It's his responsibility to join, but it obviously has consequences.

Apollo

"It obviously has consequences."

Do you always need to be such a hard ass?

Isn't it supposed to be a fun event intent on bringing people in to have fun and make good content, or is it just an exercise to see if everybody can follow the text to the letter?
He has a good idea, it would make for a good gaming experience. If your event can inspire something new, then let it happen.

I hate seeing progress withheld.

Suicizer

Quote from: Apollo on June 12, 2013, 02:23:30 AM
"It obviously has consequences."

Do you always need to be such a hard ass?

Isn't it supposed to be a fun event intent on bringing people in to have fun and make good content, or is it just an exercise to see if everybody can follow the text to the letter?
He has a good idea, it would make for a good gaming experience. If your event can inspire something new, then let it happen.

I hate seeing progress withheld.

It seems like you aren't quite getting me.
I don't care if you would even add an entire mod to your participation node, as long as the content which is meant for participation strokes the rules (which 1 of it indirectly is that the content should run on Sauerbraten).
So attaching a different zip-file which contains the map of an end-boss is legit, as long as it's not in the main zip-file.
You should still notify that you've attached something which isn't part of the challenge though.

Suicizer

Well the challenge finally ended with some fair and square results!
Give it up for our winner, Skur!

http://quadropolis.us/node/3928

Skur

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Einstein

vampirefrog