Upgraded database server to MariaDB

Started by vampirefrog, May 11, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampirefrog

Hi guys! In the spirit of Open Source Software, MappingHell is now proudly running MariaDB 5.5, thus replacing the old MySQL 5.5. The story behind this is that Oracle has acquired MySQL a while ago, and it is in danger of becoming closed source or even for-money, and MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, maintained by the same people that wrote MySQL in the first place, before Oracle bought it.

MariaDB also has optimizations, more features and enhancements over MySQL, which means the forum might run a bit faster now.

Sauce

Seems great. This forum is put together really well, and the site works good. Lots of features and the chat is handy. Maybe eventually I will have a thread featuring content, but it may be a bit longer. Time will tell. At least I put up kmapx2, even though it was a bit bland. I'd like to contribute more. We need to start utilizing  the site a bit better, to try and do some group projects again. I'll tinker away and try to do something on my own, but if anyone wants to edit, tell me.
It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them.