Merging with mX

Started by vampirefrog, June 03, 2009, 09:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampirefrog

Please post your ideas on the possible [Hell] + mX merging.

Personally, I'm all for it, since they are skilled and so are we, and there's no reason to keep the clans separated.

My idea is: if we DO merge, we should find a new name. One that also allows shorter tags. Because -[Hell]- takes up 8 characters. The maximum name length is 15 characters. That leaves us with 7 characters for the name. mX| takes only 3 characters.

vampirefrog

Here's the conversation on the mx shoutbox:

vampi @ 02.06 - 20:30
Hey maybe Hell and mX can merge.

Nixot @ 02.06 - 20:32
Nah

Redon @ 02.06 - 21:28
Hmm depends on if this is just a quick idea or if you and your clan actually talked about it ;)

I.g.(. @ 02.06 - 22:39
n interesting possibility :)

MasterTechCC @ 03.06 - 00:36
:P

Pantha @ 03.06 - 09:48
Hell and mX merge sounds cool, maybe then I wont feel like such an asshole

Jack @ 03.06 - 14:43
Argh so confusing!

Wybo @ 03.06 - 15:46
Which clan would take advantage of the merging mx or hell? i think it sounds like a really bad idea. btw, hell members seem to be kinda anti-mx, it almost looks like its a requirement to get in hell!

Nixot @ 03.06 - 16:06
Nah... Hell and mX should stay apart. Hell would just screw up mX if they joined.

vampirefrog

Redon @ 02.06 - 21:28
Hmm depends on if this is just a quick idea or if you and your clan actually talked about it ;)
We're discussing this right now. Just waiting for more members to reply.

Wybo @ 03.06 - 15:46
Which clan would take advantage of the merging mx or hell? i think it sounds like a really bad idea. btw, hell members seem to be kinda anti-mx, it almost looks like its a requirement to get in hell!
Where did you get the idea that [Hell] is anti-mX? Here are our requirements: http://hell.grigoriada.net/forum/index.php/topic,27.0.html
We're not against mX. We've no reason for that.

Nixot @ 03.06 - 16:06
Nah... Hell and mX should stay apart. Hell would just screw up mX if they joined.
How would that happen?

Catelite

Understanding that I don't know every person in mX clan, or even Hell clan (I'm getting close), mind that this is far from an expert opinion. :P

But I have no objections to a merge between both clans, myself. I've seen nothing but friendly behavior between both, and I've seen some pretty awesome maps coming from mX, and even some old friends from Cube 1.

But for it to work, we need a little bit more than just a democratic vote. It won't do to have infighting if everyone can't agree. Needs planning, and a name like Vampi said.

Apollo

I'm all for it personally, as for the name though... there could be a bit of a dispute on that...  Hell, Mx, MxHell, Hex, Mell!?, lol. I like -[Hell]-, but i wonder if they do.

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

DOBK

well i know -[HELL]- takes up to much space, and personally i dont wanna be mx|DOBK, so how about: [HELL] it will save 2 more spaces for whatever we want them for. but why dont we come up with a top 5 list of names and add a poll and make it that you have to vote? that would be fairly fair wouldnt it ?
Once upon a time there lived a NOOB.......................So i killed it ;)

SkyLaX

Merging with mX :
- I don't see any reason to not do that.
- I would like another tag than -[Hell]...- because, as Vampi said, it take too much place. But I don't want mX either, I can't stand on the fact it's a player name at first x').
In fact : why not just another name...?
- A good way to get some rules for this clan, yes, I'm too lazy.

About Wybo post :
Only Morbid did left mX to join Hell.
And Anti - mX is far away from what I'm thinking.
And I don't see why I, or we, would be against editing clan. It would be only jealousy...
Regards,
Skilax the mean Administrator.

Xyena

Ok well, i have a few things to say to this idea.
Around last week, nearly every member was asked by Sushi to join Hell because misan left and now you want the two clans to join as one. However, this will bring up many disputes as to whom is going to lead this joint clan, and which clan will benefit from it more. Im also worried that this may just be an attempt to take advantage of misan leaving to get more members. However, if some arguement does arise, we can always just split back up and go our seperate ways. Some people not going to name them i dont trust very well in hell, however i will follow whatever redon wants to do as long as i see its fair that he gets equal rights as whatever skylax wants. As for said name, ive no idea, but i dont think either of the names Hell or mX should be forced onto a different clan. so it would have to be a new one.

SkyLaX

You really think I'm that evil ???

Quotemay just be an attempt to take advantage of misan leaving to get more members
In fact, I already talked about it with Daniel some time ago, but I tough Misan wouldn't take it well.
If you known me a bit better, you would have noticed that the first months I was nearly alone in Hell, I don't look for much member. I'm looking for a nice way to spend my time with people that I like (moreover... I remember that I had friends before in this game...).

Quotei will follow whatever redon wants to do as long as i see its fair that he gets equal rights as whatever skylax wants

Do I seem to be "power addicted" ?
[Going to answer  latter, I can't translate correctly what I want ...]

Regards,

Xyena

Well i do remember when Sushi attempted to fake his way into mx, and when i came to you, telling you how he broke our rules, asking for you to kick him because we were supposedly friendly clans, you did squat all. He lied to me, and all of the clan, and you did nothing. Thats why i dont trust you skylax.

Catelite

Just try not to forget, though this is a clan, we don't own Sauerbraten. :P

The only "power" we might have is concerning who says what, on which server. And that comes down to who owns the server, which almost anyone with decent internet (even dial-up) can host.

And we need to discuss what'll happen if it does, so we need some ideas, too. And Xyena, adminly people can't do -everything-. If you've ever had master status on a server with eight noobs, you'd know that you can't do much when people complain unless you saw it yourself. :P

SkyLaX

I don't really wanna fight here but, if you want.
Watch out, the next words can be mean O.O

Well, let me remember ...
He broke a rule : mX's member musn't be in another clan.
This rule wasn't a bit selfish?

Wait, I'm quoting something...
Quotewe were supposedly friendly clans

=> Guessing what you'll answer... "It's to make the member spend all his time with our clan"
Oh, wait, isn't a clan mostly something to "be with friends" and not to be a slave that spend all his free time doing something that the "leader" decided for him?
Yes, there are rules to join, maybe because it's easier to make friend when you have the same interest?

He also used another name (Is it forbidden? I remember that you liked to give "secret" name...), but prooved his skills... Where the matter ? Maybe he wanted to restart everything ?

And last thing : You should be proud that he prefers mX to Hell...

I wish you're not going to take that as a "unfriendly" act... Just trying to explain why I did nothing...
Regards,

vampirefrog

It would seem that we don't really know each other. We should get together and have a few coopedit sessions. Maybe make a mini HQ or a large map to see how we get along. That's what it's all about, in the end, building and having fun.

It motivates people (and also helps when they don't have a skill they need) to work with other skilled people, and make great maps.

I'm sure we can forgive Sushi for being a bit 'clan-unstable'. He left Hell unexpectedly twice. If you guys don't like that, we can modify the membership rules to say something about that. Personally I'm against rejecting someone because he/she doesn't act to our fancy. Remember, we're people and we can talk it over. We can ask sushi what the problem was/is, and try to understand each other. This is really mostly between mX and Sushi, but we can pitch in with ideas as well.

I suspect it's the fact that Sushi's main theme (spaceships) doesn't match the hell main theme (which for a long while was hell hq, but then the new members started being more original in terms of themes). I can't assert that (we should wait for his answer), but this brings us to the idea: what if a member is proficient in building his own kind of stuff, and it doesn't "match" the rest of the stuff (the other members). This is where we might have to bridge the gap. The other members need to learn about that member's area of expertise, and he/she will have to learn about the other members. This way we stay close, and everybody can pitch in with stuff for mapping. So for example if Sushi makes ships, we can make a slipgate/stargate in hell hq that takes you to a space dock, which can be partially wrecked or blended with the hell hq rock material. Oh and below that we can have some hidden ruins that are in the style of the rest of the map. This is just an example. The main point is to be creative in solving these uncompatibilities.

I don't think:
Quotewe were supposedly friendly clans
is selfish. We're friends, we just didn't get to know each other, and we haven't learned to work together.

Quote from: DOBK on June 04, 2009, 06:14:04 AM
well i know -[HELL]- takes up to much space, and personally i dont wanna be mx|DOBK, so how about: [HELL] it will save 2 more spaces for whatever we want them for. but why dont we come up with a top 5 list of names and add a poll and make it that you have to vote? that would be fairly fair wouldnt it ?
DOBK, you're not in any of the two clans yet, and you've been caught spamming and mass kicking.

Quotemay just be an attempt to take advantage of misan leaving to get more members
This is not the case. We're a bunch of skilled mappers, and by joining forces we can achieve some great results. We can also get to know each other and become friends. If we wanted 'extra' members, we would have let the noobs in. Personally, I'm always skeptical about new members

Quotei will follow whatever redon wants to do as long as i see its fair that he gets equal rights as whatever skylax wants
Remember, Skylax is not clan leader. He is just clan founder. For hell clan there is no leader. That's because we're all creative enough to keep making maps without someone's direction. It's true, when someone charismatic comes with the big ideas, and takes care that everyone does his job, the results may come quicker. But this someone doesn't have to be a fixed/chosen person. It can be anyone that has a great idea. For example if Jake came with a great idea, we should all pitch in to help him materialise it. Again, if he's working on a theme we're not familiar with, we should get familiar with it by either asking him/her to describe it in more detail, or by googling and finding the existing architectural styles. This way we learn new things.

I guess I'm not really sure what the "mX clan leader" has to do, what is his job. This whole leadership thing needs to be discussed in more detail.

So far there are forum admins and server admins. That's the only applied leadership i'm aware of.

Oh and by the way. If/when we find a new name, we can also purchase a real domain and have ourself a real website (without pop-ups and junk). Also, in the future I might modify frogmod to actually support website authentication. So when you join the game, it recognizes you (either by IP or by using a password), and gives you privileges in-game. Privileges which can be tweaked on the website.

As an incentive to mX guys, please take a look at the current frogmod feature list:

* an IRC bot, which displays in-game chat, some game events, and it can be used to kick and view info and players
    * a whitelist (people on the whitelist have some extra privileges)
    * a blacklist (a warning is printed out when a blacklisted IP connects, and some privileges are taken away)
    * a me command, like IRC
    * a whisper command, for private messages
    * spam protection
    * remip attack protection
    * newmap attack protection
    * chainsaw mode :D
    * player country display, via GeoIP

And last but not least, the coopedit recording feature. You can record your coopedit actions on the server, and make it play them back for you at any time (even after map change). This way we can have prefabs (spheres, cones, ladders etc.). I/we will write a tutorial(s) on how to use this feature when it will be more fit for usage.

Waiting for the other members' answer!

Cheers!

vampirefrog

* chainsaw mode :D
Actually we removed chainsaw mode to avoid getting banned from the master server for having modified gameplay. But we can still use it on private servers (ie a server that doesn't register with the master server list thingy).

vampirefrog

Quote from: Catelite on June 04, 2009, 06:43:00 PM
you'd know that you can't do much when people complain unless you saw it yourself. :P

Actually that might change when I'll implement mapwreck detection in frogmod. It will simply detect when a large block is edited. Either by having a large gridsize or by having selected many small cubes (and scrolling... ugh lag). And by frequently saving map, mapwreck can be avoided a lot better.

Sushi

I DONT FUCKIN PREFER ANY OF UR FUCKING LITTLE SHIT CLANS!

AND IM NOT GONNA FUCKING JOIN ANY OF U!
>=(
Hmm.. I guess I might make something new for this… someday...

vampirefrog

he'll come back... they always come back  ;D

Sushi

Apollo

umm.. calm down a little, please and thank you. The font size scares me...

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Sushi

its supposed to u nincompoop

DOBK

the bigger the font the more pissed off you are, so imma stay from sushi (well mabey all japanese food) for a while
Once upon a time there lived a NOOB.......................So i killed it ;)

Spaceoff

Its amazing how much you miss when you're preoccupied with exams for a week.
EH WTF.
Just about everything in this topic is news to me.
[Hell]Yeah!

Redon

Quote from: Sushi on June 05, 2009, 06:57:34 AM
The bigger the font is, the more you lose of reliability - just like with using many exclamation marks. :P

We're discussing this topic in our internal forum a bit, to find out what our members think about it :)

vampirefrog

Quote from: Redon on June 16, 2009, 08:07:24 PM
Quote from: Sushi on June 05, 2009, 06:57:34 AM
The bigger the font is, the more you lose of reliability - just like with using many exclamation marks. :P

We're discussing this topic in our internal forum a bit, to find out what our members think about it :)
THANKS FOR POSTING, REDON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!