Expanding over to Red Eclipse.

Started by Boognish, February 17, 2012, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boognish

Hey guys.

Most of you know Red Eclipse by now. It's based on the Cube 2 Engine, has a dedicated community, and more importantly, it needs mappers.

Red Eclipse is arguably  better than Sauerbraten in every single way. It has a better mapping system, and guess what? Quin, the lead developer, doesn't give a damn (as far as I know) if you host modified servers. In fact, he included a simple variable modding system which can pretty much customize the weapons in RE to your liking.

So, can we expand onto Red Eclipse or stay on Sauer?

Skur

Quote from: Boognish on February 17, 2012, 10:37:34 PM
Red Eclipse is arguably  better than Sauerbraten in every single way. It has a better mapping system, ...

hrm not really, i like weapon jumping, i dislike wallrunning and in my opinion the mapping system is veery confusing :o

but yes, RE is an awesome game.. mayybe we could have a MH meeting and try to get used to the RE editmode :D
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Einstein

Sauce

I think RE mapping is great! I think MH can edit both in Sauerbraten and RE. I am up for it!
It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them.

unixfreak

Yeh it's a great game and something most of us should be familiar with at mapping, other than a few different keybinds and some improved features it isn't too different from Sauer when it comes to making a map.

The one thing i've noticed that i actually prefer in red eclipse is that maps are better suited with less detailed geometry. You have to consider placement of walls, doors, and slopes being important than what they actually look like due to the gameplay involving agility.

When i first picked it up and experimented with the editing system i think it only took a few hours to remember most of the basics, although after playing on sauer again... i keep trying to wallrun in sauerbraten, using F1 to enter edit mode in sauerbraten and also trying to crouch in sauerbraten ~(fail lol).

As vampi said not long ago about finding some other games to map on (as opposed to being a sauerbraten only clan), i personally think red eclipse is a good choice for something different.
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

Yoddle

isnt Quin a sauer hacker and impersonator? o.O
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Skur

Quote from: Yoddle on February 18, 2012, 04:19:36 PM

lolwut!? xD
he's the lead developer of RE and he also helped with sauerbraten (sauerbraten -> menu -> about -> Quinton "Quin" Reeves)
http://www.quadropolis.us/node/418
-Einstein

Yoddle

Ahh well, there was a Quin on sauer :L also known as Mars :L he was a hacker/impersonator :L My mistake
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

unixfreak

Quote from: Yoddle on February 18, 2012, 07:50:26 PM
Ahh well, there was a Quin on sauer :L also known as Mars :L he was a hacker/impersonator :L My mistake

I caught Mars using 'eihrul' as his name not too long ago too. :badnik:
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

Lazy Kat

Well, lets just leave Mars, and do whatever
Meowy Chwysmiss

Sweet

Even eihrul doesn't use the name "eihrul" when he plays Sauer. Only a few people know his codename, RaZgRiZ only gave me hints to it :>

Zoocata

Skur

Quote from: Zoocata on February 19, 2012, 03:30:56 AM
I know his ingame name C:

everybody knows it lol i met him on the svn servers quite often..
-Einstein

Doom

Quote from: Yoddle on February 18, 2012, 04:19:36 PM
That was mars who'm impersonated him. lol GO MARS!
To be with one, is to be without.

vampirefrog