Ars Belli - The Art of War

Started by Yoddle, January 06, 2012, 09:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoddle

Inspiration for this map came from Wybo, and his tank map, where he used only one texture on the tank, and skylight to show the detail.

Put this idea into a playable map, the layout was given to me by Sauce.
Its more about playing with detail, light, and making aesthetic patterns, but at the same time is playable. It is as simple as possible, with minimal complexities. (detail is the acception)

the first screenshot shows that only one grey is used, and the second screenshot shows how the light transformes the dull texture into a detailed  piece of work. The map is unfinished obviously, but heres just a preview.

Another map is under go, called YDL_03, which is a farm themed ctf map.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Sweet

Simply because the projects section is more for planning/group projects, I'm going to move this to maps.

vampirefrog

So cool. I really like AO, too bad sauer does a poor job at it. Cool AO can be achieved if the map is surrounded by lights. I did this once and it was cool. Don't have any screenies though.

Edit: found screenies:

vampirefrog

Sauce

Yoddle: You should show me that map sometime.
It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them.

Yoddle

Yeah sauce, ima need your help with some more layout on it if that ok :) tell me when your next online
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Yoddle

Some screenies of the map so far :)

Fairypiss

vampirefrog

unixfreak

Looks awesome. I've always loved the detail that suddenly appears with calclight on the grey textures,
Really does bring out the detail.
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

Lazy Kat

Hell ya brother!
Keep it up!
(Good to see someone else who knows Latin ;D)
Can't wait to see the finaql result + awesome screenies!
Meowy Chwysmiss

Yoddle

Cheers all! :)

Not long till its finished now

Yoddle

Latest Screenies

Lazy Kat

Meowy Chwysmiss

Yoddle

So i reflected the map to see how it'd look.

Bare in mind the centre of the map isnt done.

Thoughts or comments?

Lazy Kat

Meowy Chwysmiss

Yoddle

Finished the map, just touching up a few things :) I will upload it later when im back from a clinic.
Heres a screenshot in the mean time :)

Yoddle

Still got weapon spawning, clip, and other bits'n'bobs to do :)

Sauce

This is neat. Over 8 megs for the ogz, that's huge! It seemed you tried to use as many small cubes as possible neat.
It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them.

Yoddle

haha yeaaahh, lags like a beaver :L turn wireframe on and your computer will want to commit suicide :L 5fps :L