Modular maps.

Started by Apollo, November 02, 2011, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apollo

I am going to make a set of modular map segments.
These segments will be constructed so any one segment may fit to any other segment seamlessly, in any order, so as to create a map.

These sections may consist of, but are not limited to:

-Direct Hallway
   - multiple versions with different details
-90 degree intersection. Either a hard turn or a rounded turn.
-T intersection
-4 way intersection
-A set of short halls that have specific slopes.
-Large rooms with multiple spots to attach hallways.
- Open, vertical shafts.
- Ladders shafts
- Stair wells. Either straight or with stairs that wrap around.
- Short segments to aleviate spacing issues, should any module be slightly longer than the rest. 
    All modules should be either 1 or 2 units in length. ( 1 unit simply being however large I decide a module should be. Preferably something on the grid. )
etc.

If anybody would like to make their own, we could make our own sets, and try making the same maps with each set :P

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

unixfreak

Hey this is the exact same way i work with maps, i find it easier to come up with ideas in segments, and then copy/paste it all together afterwards to create the layout.

Sounds fun.

Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

vampirefrog

Apollo

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

unixfreak

This seems to work:

• Gridpower = 6
  • Area = 3x3x4

A quick map is attached (took around 15minutes), works well for staircases if making a 'higher' corrider/room for each segment with the gridsize/area.

So far i made:

• T-section
  • Corridor
  • Corner room
  • Staircase
  • Upper-corrider (to fit the staircase)
Haven't done much detail, but It all fits together nicely so far.  ;)
Join the Red Eclipse discord! https://www.redeclipse.net/discord

vampirefrog

nice. I need to mention that the Sonic the Hedgehog 2D maps (sega mega drive/genesis) were done in similar fashion, in Sonic 1 with 256x256px chunks, and later with 128x128 chunks. And they had very nice layouts. Though the layouts were more for the player viewpoint rather than the mapper's viewpoint - what I mean is that if you look at a sonic map, the general layout is chaotic. but for the player, who experienced the map one small bit at a time (the screen was 320x224, and that means only 4x3 128x128px chunks were visible at most, at once). But Sonic was single player - I'm just saying - if you make a single player map, using chunks like this might work, as long as you use them intelligently.

Here are some examples: http://soniccenter.org/maps/sonic_3

Kirk out.

Sweet

I've got dome schoolwork to do, but I'll find some time and give it a go.

Apollo

I've started making the sections. They are just simple blocks that can be assembled.
I will start to detail them soon.