Sauerbraten File System and Commands

Started by Sweet, September 14, 2011, 04:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet

I will be doing a series of tutorials on the Sauerbraten File System and Commands. Feel free to add on, I don't know everything.

Ard-Edit:
Marking this topic for an Updated Version later.

Sweet

Lesson 1 : The .ogz File- Learn it, Live it, Love it.

So you want to upload/download a map. Great! It's always fun to expand your horizons and to share maps. But how would you do it? Sauerbraten maps use a .ogz extension. This means that your map will use "mapname.ogz"

Along with .ogz files, there are also .cfg files- these can add sounds, textures, and functions to your map.

Finally, you might find .jpg files with your maps- these are screenshots that show when you load the map.

But how do you find them?

On a Mac : users/username/library/application support/sauerbraten/packages/base
On Windows : C:/programs/sauerbraten
On Linux : ~/.sauerbraten/packages/base

Apollo

AHHEMMM!

What if somebody were to.. you know.. install it on a different partition? ;)

I, being myself, and also me, would Never Ever EVER ever ever ever ever install it on C.

( My C is an SSD ) My sauer is also 33 gigs.

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

Sweet

Your Sauerbraten Folder - New Best Friend

Your Sauerbraten folder holds some very important things:

1. autoexec.cfg

This file is a text file. Open with notepad or textedit. When you download certain scripts and mods, you might have to write "exec scriptname.cfg" here, in order to run it.

This applies mostly to things that add on to the sauer engine, and things that can't be done by simple keybinds.

2. config.cfg

This file is also a text file. All binds you create, and all that exist, are in this file. Also in here are most of your settings. Don't delete this, it will restore all your settings to normal.

3. servers.cfg

Text file. This keeps a record of all of the servers you visit- unless you really need to know names or ips of servers, it's useless.

4. restore.cfg

This text file holds all the default Sauerbraten settings. It is used to execute the "restore all settings" button in the Sauerbraten options.

5. All screenshots and demos

Any screenshot you take with "/screenshot" will be found here in your Sauerbraten folder, as "Screenshot_XXXXXXXX.png"

6. Your Packages folder

This contains the base folder, as well as custom model and texture folders you may install.

Sweet

Well, Jakey Poo, I'm sure you could tell them what to do. How's that sound?  :P

Sweet

Binds : Shortcuts to Success

Binds, or keybinds, are commands assigned to a key. They are useful for doing simple things within Sauerbraten, without having to type.

General structure : /bind key [command]

If your bind is text: /bind key [say "text"]

If your bind is text and a command: /bind key [command ; say "text"]

Useful binds:
/bind g [getmap ; say "I am getting the map."]
/bind m [sendmap ; say "I am sending the map."]
/bind c [say "Sorry about that teamkill!"]
/bind v [say "Good Game all!"]

For PSL

/bind F10 [setmaster "user/pass"]

Sweet

Custom textures : Probably Not Worth It

Custom textures can be a pain- to use, to transport. But if you gotta use them, go for it. Here's how to add a texture to your existing texture pallete (F2)

1. In your packages folder, create a folder that will hold your textures. (For example, mine is SweetTex)

2. Paste any picture or texture in that folder.

3. In game, type /texture 0 packages/foldername/filename.jpg

4. "foldername" will be the name of the folder created in step 1.

5. Open your texture pallete- your texture will be on the last page, at the bottom.

Sweet

Useful Commands : Both Sauerbraten Built-In, and Server-Made

1. All User commands

#stats - displays your stats at the top of the screen. (Likely usable in most fighting servers)

/getmap - gets most currently sent map (coop edit)

/sendmap - sends map you are currently on (coop edit)

/newmap - creates a new map (coop edit)

/showclientnum 1 - shows client number (cn) next to each person's name on the scoreboard (TAB).

/goto (cn) - teleports you to a player's location.

2. Master and Admin Commands

#mute (cn) - Mutes all text typed and sent for a specific player

/kick (cn) - Kicks and temporarily bans a certain player from a server.

/setmaster serverpass - Sets you as an admin on the server (provided you have the admin pass)

/auth serverpass - Sets you as master on a server with Mastermode -1 (Auth)

/authkick (cn) - Kicks a specific person (you must have authkey)

Sweet

Fancy Editing Commands : Look Impressive

1. Simple sky commands

/skybox folder/skyox : Loads and inserts a specific skybox

/spinsky 0 - 1000024 : Spins the skybox at a speed depending on the number input.

/fog 1 - 1000024 : Sets a certain fog level. The lower the number, the thicker the fog.

/fogcolour R G B : Changes the color of the fog.

/cloudheight 1-1000 : Changes the height of the cloud layer- like the skybox, but at the top, rather than the sides.

/skyboxcolour R G B : Changes the color of the skybox

2. Water Commands:

/waterfog 1-1000024 : Changes the murkiness of the water. The lower the number, the thicker the fog.

/waterfogcolour R G B : Changes the color of water fog.

3. V Commands

/vcolor X X X : Changes a block or texture to a more specific color or tint. This command uses Decimal colors.

/vscroll X X X : Scrolls a texture like a conveyor belt. The X values change direction (negative reverses and switches from left to right).

Sweet

Your Sauerbraten Textures and Models : Editable and Fun!

To access your gamedata folder:

Right Click on your Sauerbraten Icon- Click on "Show Package Contents"

To access playermodels and weapon models, click on the 'Packages' folder, and the 'models' folder.

In there, you will find folders named Snoutx10, MrFixit, Inky, Ogro, and CaptainCannon.

You will also find a folder titled vweps- which is your HUDGUNS. (Guns you hold and guns your enemies hold).

You will also find folders with mapmodels- ignore them for now.

Sweet

Skin Your Enemies : Don't Really do What This Title Says

Are you having trouble seeing your enemies? Are they popping out of nowhere and sniping you like you're some sort of robotic pig-like thing? Well no more!

In the previously mentioned models folder, you can find a folder called 'Snoutx10k'. In this folder are multiple .png files. The only ones that matter, however, are the .dds files. There should be these files:

Upper_r.dds
Lower_r.dds

Upper_b.dds
Lower_b.dds

Upper.dds
Lower.dds

These files are all interchangeable with other .dds files- you just have to know where to find them! Lucky for you, http://www.ogros.org has some great skins that are brighter. Back up your 'Snout10xk' file, and replace the .dds files in the original folder with your downloaded ones!

Simple as that. If you want more skins, you are also able to download them at http://quadropolis.us

Sweet

Crosshairs : Love 'em or leave 'em

So you just downloaded a crisp, new, fancy-ass crosshair from Quadropolis. Where the hell do you put it?

In your crosshair folder, there should be two files- a crosshair.png and a hit.png

Crosshair.png is what you see while not shooting and not reloading

hit.png is a file for when you are reloading or out of ammo.

Open your Sauerbraten package contents (the stuff that comes with Sauerbraten - The stuff where the playermodels are)

Do not click models. You will actually click on the folder called 'Gamedata'. In that folder, click another folder called 'data', which will take you to a collection of integral images from sauerbraten. Replace the crosshair.png and hit.png in that folder with your downloaded ones!

Please note: To switch back to default, go to gamedata/packages/crosshairs. Take the files of the default crosshair and copy them into the data folder. Rename them to crosshair.png and hit.png

Lazy Kat

OK, but what about making bases or flags?
Meowy Chwysmiss

Sweet

Bases and flags are also in the models folder.

Pupskuchen

Quote from: Sweet on September 14, 2011, 04:42:40 PM
/auth serverpass - Sets you as master on a server with Mastermode -1 (Auth)

/authkick (cn) - Kicks a specific person (you must have authkey)

Wrong :)

It's only  /auth  (no password) and you need an authkey.
/authkick doesn't exist. You kick, as usually, with /kick <cn>

Sweet

Stop being smarter than me, Fart Cake.

Skur

Quote from: Sweet on September 14, 2011, 04:11:51 PM
Lesson 1 : The .ogz File- Learn it, Live it, Love it.

So you want to upload/download a map. Great! It's always fun to expand your horizons and to share maps. But how would you do it? Sauerbraten maps use a .ogz extension. This means that your map will use "mapname.ogz"

Along with .ogz files, there are also .cfg files- these can add sounds, textures, and functions to your map.

Finally, you might find .jpg files with your maps- these are screenshots that show when you load the map.

But how do you find them?

On a Mac : users/username/library/application support/sauerbraten/packages/base
On Windows : C:/programs/sauerbraten
On Linux : ~/.sauerbraten/packages/base

you forgot abou the backups  ;)
if you fucked your MAPNAME.ogz you can look for the latest MAPNAME.BAK file and change the file extension to .ogz, then you have a backup of your map :D (every time you save your map a new backup will be created automatically ;)
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Einstein