Deleted some accounts, registration is now moderated

Started by vampirefrog, June 13, 2011, 12:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampirefrog

Hi guys, I've deleted a lot of accounts with 0 posts, since they were most probably spammers.
Skilax and I have also been deleting spam posts.

We've also changed the registration method, new members have to be approved by an admin.

All this is done to avoid spam.

Cheers!

Apollo

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put your sister and I side by side.

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

SkyLaX

I don't want to be, errr, pessimistic, but...
How will we find the real accounts between the 160 members awaiting approval? :/
Regards,
Skilax the mean Administrator.

Apollo

Simple. I was blessed early on in live with the ability to read peoples minds over a great distance. All I need do is search the minds  of various people until I find those who honestly want to register. :D

Heav’n hath no rage like love to hatred turn’d, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn’d.

SkyLaX

Oh nice, then I can leave you this awesome and funny job :D
Regards,
Skilax the mean Administrator.

vampirefrog

I modified the registration text and wrote that if anyone wants to register, they send an email to vampi@mappinghell.net. Spam bots won't do that.

Apollo

I understand that spam bots may not be smart enough to pick out the address, but some evil people are.

I'd recommend that you use something like registration@mappinghell.net and then forward it from there. Additionally, you could even forward it to multiple people without risk of compromising your own information.

vampirefrog

alternately, i can ask for help on the SMF support forum

SirAlex

I had a ton of luck with this: http://www.stopforumspam.com/
Just don't enable banning by username(lots of false positives, it banned Jake once)

vampirefrog

Daniel

Vampi, is it possible to use askimet for SMF ? it is very effective.

Apollo

This is off topic,  buuuuutt....

Daniel! Hi!!! Haven't seen you in ages.

vampirefrog

Hi Daniel! I'll try both solutions when I get some time.

vampirefrog